In Malaysia, too often we see food handlers in food premises neglecting the need for clean and safe food handling in food premises.
To solve this problem, the Food Handling Training / Food Handler Training was introduced by Ministry of Health Malaysia in Food Hygiene Regulation (2009) .
Food Handler Training is also popularly known as Kursus Pengendalian Makanan.
Take this for an example, a Nasi Lemak seller smokes a cigarette while preparing nasi lemak in a stall or a food operator scratches his head while processing burger patty in a food factory.
It may seem trivial but these bad practices can contribute to contamination of food.
For those who are aware of the bad practices committed by the food handlers will definitely cancel the desire to buy food at the premises BUT this is rare because it has become our normal tradiotion.
Recognizing this fact, the Ministry of Health Malaysia (MOH) has made it mandatory for all food handlers to undergo Food Handler Training / Food Handling Training at any institution recognized by the MOH through the Food Hygiene Regulations 2009.
Food Handler Training School
This institution is called the Food Handler Training School (SLPM) which consists of private companies, statutory bodies, associations, cooperatives and Institutes of Higher Learning.
MOH is fully responsible for the recognition and monitoring activities for SLPM and the teaching staff who conduct LPM courses.
The objective of the Food Handler Training School in general is to provide exposure and awareness on the importance of clean and safe food preparation to all food handlers in the service sector and the food industry.
The LPM also emphasizes fundamental aspects in food hygiene and safety, including the self-operator and food premises.
Indirectly, the incidence of food poisoning nationwide can be reduced.
Through this Food Handler Training Program, food handlers will be trained by instructors using teaching modules provided by the MOH.
Certificate of course attendance will be given to food handlers who attend the LPM course in accordance with the terms and conditions that have been set.
Implementation of Food Handler Training
The LPM Program Accreditation Scheme has been developed by the MOH to provide guidance to SLPM and instructors who have been accredited to conduct LPM courses.
In addition, this scheme can also help officers in the MOH to conduct uniform monitoring and auditing on SLPM and teaching staff.
The content of the modules used in Food Handling Training / Food Handler Training:
– LPM Course Requirements
– Legislative Power
– The Importance of Food Hygiene and Safety.
- Food Hygiene
– Definition of Food Hygiene
– Food Handler Personal Hygiene
– Food premise
– Food Premises Environment.
- Food Safety
– Selection of Raw Materials
– Storage Method
– Raw Material Handling
– Food preparation
– Food Serving
– Transportation and Distribution.
- Food Poisoning Risk Factors
– Listing 12 factors that can cause food poisoning such as touching food with hands, undercooked food, cross-contamination and others.
Videos related to clean and safe food handling
Short quiz (Pre- and post-test).
Requirement to attend Food Handler Training / Food Handling Training
- All food handlers are required to take the Food Handler Training / Food Handling Training once in a lifetime only.
- If the food handler does not attend the course, a fine not exceeding RM10,000.00 or imprisonment not exceeding 2 years will be imposed.
How to attend Food Handler Training?
- Refer to the food handler training schedule below.
- Select date.
- Key in participants information
- Complete registration, pay fees and attend the training.
- Receive and keep the LPM course attendance certificate issued by Al Barakah Training Solution.
- Practice clean and safe food handling.
*Please wait for a moment (3-7 seconds) while the registration form below loads. If it fails to load, click HERE.